Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut
- 2 red bell peppers , cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 medium leeks , white part only, sliced thin and washed well
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari (soy sauce available at health food stores)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 pieces (quarter-sized) fresh ginger root , peeled and minced
Wash and pat the halibut dry. Combine the marinade ingredients and place the fish and marinade in a glass or ceramic dish. Marinate 1 hour in the refrigerator, turning several times.
Light the grill (if using charcoal or wood as opposed to gas) 45 minutes prior to cooking, or preheat the broiler 15 minutes before cooking.
Remove the fish from the marinade and set aside. Put the marinade into a large skillet and heat. Add the leeks and red pepper and sauté for 15 minutes, or until tender, over medium heat. Do not brown.
After the vegetables have sautéed for 5 minutes, place the halibut over white coals or under the broiler, 4 to 6 inches from heat. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the flesh is opaque throughout and flakes easily.
Place the fish on serving plates and top with the braised red peppers and leeks.