- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup tea seed oil
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts for garnish (optional)
Meanwhile, to make pistou, combine basil, 3 tablespoons tea seed oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Mix well. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, heat remaining oil until hot but not smoking. Carefully place tofu steaks in pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Turn and cook the other side the same way, and season again with salt and pepper to taste. Remove and place on serving platter; drizzle pistou on top. Serve hot, with a sprinkle of pine nuts.