Served as an appetizer or salad, this dramatic dish will impress your guests!
Servings: Serves 8
- 1/4 cup (about 1/2 bunch) cilantro or Italian parsley (stems removed), plus additional for garnish
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound (about 16) medium shrimp , cleaned and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 2 or 3 limes)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 avocados , pitted, peeled, and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 English cucumber , peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
Combine first 7 ingredients in a food processor and blend 30 seconds; scrape sides of bowl and blend 15 more seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Cook shrimp 3 to 4 minutes, until just pink. Add garlic and lime juice and cook 30 more seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and refrigerate until ready to use.
Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Using a small, sharp knife, make an X on each tomato. Fill a medium bowl with ice water. Immerse tomatoes in boiling water 10 to 15 seconds, just until skin loosens. With a slotted spoon, remove tomatoes and drop into ice water. Peel skin; cut tomatoes in half and discard seeds. Dice into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside. Put avocado in a medium bowl and gently toss with lemon juice.
Loosely pack 1/2 cup avocado into a 3-inch round cookie cutter, top with 1/2 cup tomato, and then add 1/2 cup cucumber, gently pressing each layer with a spoon. Carefully remove cutter. Repeat on each plate, and refrigerate until ready to use. (Alternate method: Gently mix salad ingredients and mound on plates.)
Drizzle each tower with dressing, and add 2 shrimp. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 22, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.