- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 large ears), plus 1 shucked ear of corn
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 large sea scallops
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small bunch ' ' epazote leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Snipped fresh chives and cilantro , for garnish
Light a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium. Lay 1 ear of corn directly on grill and cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning frequently until lightly charred. Let corn cool a little, then slice kernels from cob.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon oil. Sear scallops 1 to 2 minutes or until nicely browned on bottom. Turn scallops over, sear about 1 minute; remove pan from heat. Let scallops sit in hot pan so that they finish cooking gently.
In a small saucepan, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add corn kernels and cook about 2 minutes or until corn begins to release some moisture. Add corn sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until just heated through. Be careful not to let sauce simmer. Add epazote and stir 1 minute. Stir in minced chives and remove from heat.
Divide sauce among 4 plates. Arrange 2 scallops on each plate and garnish with fresh herbs.
Recommended ingredient: Epazote is available at Latino and specialty markets or online at chefshop.com.
For more from Michel Nischan, visit his website: www.michelnischan.com