Sausage and Jalapeño Cheese Quesadillas
Created by Art Smith
January 01, 2006
As a snack or a meal, these hot, spicy, cheesy treats are sure to make every mouth happy.
Servings: Makes 2 quesadillas
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (6 inches in diameter)
- 2 chicken sausages (about 2 1/4 ounces each)
- 1/4 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Jalapeno cheese (if you can't find any, finely chop fresh or canned Jalapeño peppers to taste and add to shredded Jack cheese)
- 1/2 Jonah Gold apple (or other sweet) , thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme , chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat a panini press or counter-top grill. Lightly brush one side of the tortillas with olive oil. Place them oil side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each tortilla with the ingredients, leaving a border around the tortilla. Add the cheese last. Salt to taste.
Place another tortilla over the first, and lightly oil the top of the tortilla. Place the quesadillas in the press or on the grill and cook until the edges begin to crisp and all the toppings are cooked, about 5–7 minutes.
To serve, cut the quesadillas into wedges, garnish and serve.
Recommended ingredient: Sausages by Amy's Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken sausage
Most packaged chicken sausages come precooked. Check your label. If not, cook the sausages first, then slice at an angle.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 7, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.