This recipe is part of our superfoods menu . For an alternate take on this recipe, try a sardine salad sandwich with avocado, arugula, and hard-boiled eggs.
- 6 leaves savoy cabbage
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh herbs , such as parsley, basil, or cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices spelt or whole grain bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tins (3.75 ounces each) boneless, skinless sardines packed in olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes , thickly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Meanwhile, toast bread until dark golden brown. Rub one side of each slice with garlic clove. Arrange toast garlic-side-up on a cutting board.
Divide sardines between 4 slices of toast. Cover sardines with tomatoes and greens; season with salt and pepper. Place remaining slices of bread on top to assemble sandwiches, and serve.
Note: You may substitute 3 stalks of Swiss chard for the savoy cabbage; if using swiss chard, reduce the amount of lemon juice to 2 tablespoons and reduce the standing time at the end of the first step to 10 minutes.