This recipe is part of our superfoods menu . For an alternate take on the sardine sandwich , pair the fish with ripe tomato and savoy cabbage or Swiss chard.
Note: Cornichons are small, sour pickles.
- 2 tins (3.75 ounces each) boneless, skinless sardines packed in olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil mayonnaise , or more to taste
- 1/4 cup drained and finely chopped cornichons
- 8 slices spelt or whole grain bread , toasted
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes , thickly sliced
- 2 cups fresh arugula or dark, leafy greens
- 3 to 4 hard-boiled eggs , sliced (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Lay out 4 slices of bread. Top each with avocado, tomato, sardine mixture, arugula, and egg (if using). Salt and pepper to taste; finish each sandwich with a slice of bread.