The marinade in this dish is what gives the chicken such a smooth flavor. Although it is ideal if the meat can soak in the marinade for at least an hour before cooking to absorb the intricate flavors of the marinade, if you don't have time, don't be discouraged, because the chicken will still be flavorful. If you are really planning ahead, you can soak the meat in the marinade for up to two days.
Servings: Serves 4
- Juice from 3 limes
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Mock Sour Cream or low-fat sour cream
- 1 lime , sliced into 6 thin slices
- 6 scallion firecrackers (see Tips below)
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa or Papaya Salsa
Mix together marinade ingredients in a bowl, stirring thoroughly. Pour into a shallow baking pan and lay the chicken breasts in. Cover and refrigerate for one hour. Preheat the broiler.
After one hour, when the chicken has absorbed all the flavors of the marinade, pour in the white wine. Broil the chicken under a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, basting it with the juices to keep it moist.
Transfer the chicken to a platter and slice it at an angle. Garnish each piece with a little of the pan juices, a dollop of sour cream, slices of lime and a scallion firecracker, as well as a dollop of salsa.
Tips from Rosie's Kitchen
- The scallion "firecracker" is a lively garnish that gets its name from the way the leaves of the onion curl away from the body of the onion, creating a "firecracker" appearance. Cut 2 inches off the green leafy side of the scallion. Trim the roots at the white bulbous end. Then cut three slits about 1/2-inch down through the white, bulbous end. Fill a bowl with ice water and drop in the freshly cut scallions.
- It is never too much trouble to cook extra chicken breasts. They hold the flavor of the marinade and are wonderful for chicken salad or sandwiches for work or school.
212.3 calories, 4.4g fat, 0.8g saturated fat (46.8% of calories from fat), 30.1g protein, 13g carbohydrate, 72mg cholesterol, 0.9g fiber
Printed from Oprah.com on May 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.