Authentic Caesar dressing is made with coddled eggs, which are not cooked enough to dispel concerns about the harmful salmonella bacterium. I use a base of store-bought mayonnaise to supply the egg and oil component and then add other Caesar essentials such as lemon juice, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Crisp and sturdy Romaine lettuce hearts are the greens of choice for this thick and creamy dressing. To transform this into a complete meal, serve it topped with grilled chicken or shrimp, just as they do in restaurants.
Servings: Serves 6
- 3/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic , crushed through a press
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 (6-ounce) Romaine lettuce hearts, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a small bowl. Season generously with pepper. (For a thinner dressing, dilute with a tablespoon or two of water.)
Toss the lettuce and dressing well in a large bowl. Add the Parmesan and toss again. Serve immediately.