Sauteed mustard seeds have a delicate consistency and just a slight undertone of heat and mustard flavor, adding a wonderful touch to this shrimp dish.
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 serrano chiles , seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 plum tomatoes , seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds rock shrimp or medium shrimp , shelled and deveined
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
In a large wok or nonstick skillet, heat mustard seeds and oil over a medium-high flame. When mustard seeds start to pop, add chiles, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute.
Add tomatoes and salt; cook until juices are released and mixture is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice; toss until all ingredients are evenly coated. Serve immediately over basmati rice or pasta.
177 calories, 5.4 grams fat, 0.8 grams saturated fat, 173 mg of cholesterol, 351 mg sodium, 6.9 grams carbohydrate, 1.0 grams fiber, 24.8 grams protein
Printed from Oprah.com on December 13, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.