Serves 6 (Makes 12 tacos)
- 1½ Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 large poblano chili or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium orange sweet potato, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Oaxaca or Monterey Jack cheese
- Chipotle sauce
- Pico de gallo (optional)
DirectionsActive time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 400°. Heat a heavy ovenproof skillet (cast iron is ideal) over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to pan, then onion and poblano chili or green pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized. Stir in garlic and 1 tsp. salt.
In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato with remaining ½ Tbsp. oil and ½ tsp. salt. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute, then place pan in oven and roast 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare tortillas dorado: Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush 1 side of a tortilla lightly with oil and place oil side down in pan. Scatter a generous spoonful of cheese over center of tortilla and cook until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly golden on the underside but still flexible. Place on a cookie sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese. When finished, lightly oil a piece of foil and use it to cover tortillas.
Remove skillet from oven and stir in black beans and black pepper (beans will warm through from the heat of the pan). Top each tortilla with sweet potato mixture, a drizzle of chipotle sauce, and a spoonful of pico de gallo (if using).