Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp , peeled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium' ' (about 1 1/2 pounds) Yukon gold potatoes , scrubbed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons capers
Preheat the oven to 450°. Wash the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. In a medium glass or plastic bowl, combine the shrimp, one tablespoon olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, one teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss together and refrigerate.
Rub a 9-inch baking dish or gratin pan with olive oil. Place the potato slices, slightly overlapping, in the pan. Drizzle them with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, one teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast the potatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes, until golden and just tender. Remove from the oven, top with the shrimp and the marinade, and return to the oven.
Cook an additional 10 minutes, until the shrimp is opaque and slightly roasted looking. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the capers. Serve at once with a green salad.
Recommended variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 3/4 cup diced tomatoes, and 1/2 cup feta when adding the shrimp. Or substitute peeled butternut squash (cut into 1/4-inch slices) for the potatoes, and sage for the capers.