Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Serves 12–15
- 2 pounds (about 5 to 6) Idaho potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup heavy cream , brought to a boil and kept warm
- 6 tablespoons butter , softened to room temperature
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 small head garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , chopped fine, additional small leaves for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°. Rub the garlic head with the olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool. When cool enough to touch, squeeze out the garlic into a small bowl and set aside. The garlic should be the consistency of thick toothpaste.
In a large saucepan place, cover the chopped potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are very tender when stabbed with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Return to the saucepan and add the cream and butter. With a hand mixer, blend until just smooth (do not over-whip).
Add the reserved garlic and the chopped basil. Garnish each serving with small whole basil leaves. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 8, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.