- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions
- 2 bags (1 pound) baby carrots
- 16 sprigs large thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake and oyster)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Preheat oven to 450°. Place onions and carrots each on a separate baking sheet with sides. To each sheet, add 8 thyme sprigs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss until vegetables are coated evenly. Roast 25 minutes, tossing vegetables several times until lightly caramelized and slightly tender; cool.
Quarter cremini mushrooms; remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and slice caps; slice oyster mushrooms. In a large, deep skillet over high heat, melt butter and sauté mushrooms until tender, about 4 minutes. Add roasted onions, carrots, broth and vinegar. Cook, tossing vegetables with a large spoon, until broth and vinegar have evaporated and vegetables are heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tarragon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss.