Every great meal features a fabulous starter. With fresh offerings from your garden—or your supermarket—you can't go wrong.
Servings: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 pound beets (3 to 4 medium), scrubbed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 small bunch arugula , tough stems removed, well washed and spun dry
- 1 bunch watercress , tough stems removed, well washed and spun dry
- 1 small head Boston lettuce , well washed, spun dry and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450°. Line a large piece of aluminum foil with parchment paper. Place beets in center of parchment. Drizzle with one tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Fold aluminum foil up to enclose beets. Place on a small baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour.
Remove from oven and let sit until no longer hot to the touch. Rub off skins and discard. Cut beets into wedges.
In a medium bowl whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the roasted beets, arugula, watercress, and Boston lettuce and toss to combine.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.