Roasted Beet Napoleon
- 1 1/2 lbs. large yellow or red beets , washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 recipe Herbed Goat Cheese (recipe follows), cut into 8 round slices
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mixed baby lettuces , washed and dried
- 1/4 cup Spago House Dressing (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup Citrus Hazelnut Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 oz. Toasted Hazelnuts (recipe follows), coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 7 or 8 oz. log of goat cheese
- 2 large shallots , minced (1 heaping tablespoon.)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. zinfandel vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 shallot , peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/3 cup hazelnut oil
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup hazelnuts
Cut each beet into 1/4-inch-thick round slices. Cut each slice with a 3-inch round cookie cutter. (You will need 10 rounds.) Cut trimmings into 1/4-inch dice and reserve 1/2 cup for garnish.
In a sauté pan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Lower to a simmer and poach beets 1 minute on each side. With a slotted spatula, remove and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
When ready to assemble, heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan. Arrange the slices of Herbed Goat Cheese in the pan and warm slightly, turning them with a small spatula just to warm both sides. This has to be done quickly, or the cheese will melt.
To assemble the napoleons, place one of the beet rounds on a firm, flat surface and begin to layer. Top with a slice of goat cheese, then another beet round, a second slice of cheese, another beet round, a third slice of cheese, and a beet round. (Continue until you have 5 layers of beets and 4 layers of cheese.) Carefully cut through layers, dividing into 3 wedges. Repeat with the remaining beets and cheese.
To serve, arrange 3 of the wedges, pointed ends facing out, in a circle in the center of each plate. Toss the baby lettuces with the Spago House Dressing and mound half of the lettuces on top of each arranged napoleon. Drizzle half of the Citrus Hazelnut Vinaigrette around each mound. Sprinkle toasted nuts and reserved diced beets on top of drizzled vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
For Herbed Goat Cheese
Combine the parsley, chives, thyme and pepper and place on a flat surface. Roll the log of cheese in the mixture, coating all sides and retaining the shape of the log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
Makes one 7- or 8-ounce log.
For Spago House Salad Dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots and the mustard. Whisk in the vinegars and then the olive and vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until needed.
Makes 1 1/4 cups.
For Citrus Hazelnut Vinaigrette
In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice to a boil. Lower to a simmer and reduce until only 1/3 cup remains. Cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, combine orange juice, shallot, thyme, vinegar and orange zest.
Slowly whisk in both oils until thick and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
Makes 1 1/3 cups.
For Toasted Hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange the hazelnuts on a medium baking tray and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. (This can be done in a toaster oven.) Remove to a clean towel and rub to remove as much of the skin as possible. Chop coarsely and use when needed.
Makes 1 cup.