- 1 small onion , peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup ground chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (3-to 3 1/2-pound) whole chicken , rinsed and patted dry
Place chicken in a small roasting pan and tie legs together; brush with 3 to 4 Tbsp. mole, until chicken is completely coated. Cover pan with foil (tented, so it doesn't touch chicken). Roast 1 hour. Remove foil; brush chicken with another coat of mole (be sure to wash the brush before you use it a second time so you don't contaminate the cooked meat). Cook until juices run clear when chicken is pierced in the thick part of the thigh, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let sit 10 minutes before carving.
Note: For the mole, use ground, dried chili peppers with a rich flavor and medium heat, such as ancho or pasilla peppers. If you can't find them at your local market, try mexgrocer.com. You can make the mole up to a week in advance; refrigerate until ready to use.