Cristina Ferrare's Risotto with Peas and Asparagus Recipe
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup fresh peas, blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water (drain, rinse with cool water and set aside)
- 1 cup asparagus tips, blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water (drain, rinse with cool water and set aside)
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store-bought organic, heated through
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Zest from 1 lemon
Combine the chicken broth and saffron in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
Heat a stock pot over medium-high heat until warm (about 30 seconds). Add oil, butter, onions, and salt. Saute just until the onions turn translucent and are soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the warm broth and the white wine to cover the rice. Mix well. Bring to a gentle boil over low heat, boil gently until the liquid is almost gone.
Stir in 3 more cups of broth, stirring about every 3 minutes and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
Add 1 1/2 cups more broth, 1/2 cup every 3 to 4 minutes, to keep the rice mixture creamy.
Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is cooked through but still a bit firm in the center, about 10 to 12 minutes. The last 10 minutes of cooking, stir in the asparagus, peas, Parmesan and lemon zest. Adjust the the seasoning.