Servings: Makes 6 Servings
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs such as basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Place broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce to bare simmer and cover.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in rice and cook 1 minute, until edges of grains are translucent and there is a white spot in the middle of each grain.
3. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring until most of wine is absorbed. Add 2 cups hot broth; bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring every few minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed (7 to 9 minutes). Add broth by ½ cupfuls every couple of minutes until rice is nearly cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the fresh herbs and cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and pepper. Serve immediately.