Servings: Serves 8
- 2 large onions , grated or minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts (or different toasted nuts for added protein)
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 cups white or brown rice
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 2' 'tablespoons dried)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas , drained and rinsed
Place onion in a wide saucepan with oil, pine nuts, and allspice. Cook over medium heat until onion softens, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add rice, currants, and herbs, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a little pepper, then add 3 1/2 cups water (4 cups if using brown rice) and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes for white, 40 to 42 for brown.
Toss gently with chickpeas. Cover and let stand until chickpeas heat through, about 10 minutes.