This recipe is from Jewels and Jill's Healthy Festive Menu.
- 1/4 cup pepitas (Mexican pumpkin seeds); available at most grocery stores or Latin markets
- 2 1/2 oranges , preferably Cara Cara
- 1/2 shallot , minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped dill or chives (optional)
- 3 cups mache or chopped Bibb lettuce
- 3 cups tatsoi or chopped red-leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado , pitted and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cotija cheese , crumbled
Preheat oven to 350°. Spread pepitas in a single layer on a baking sheet, and toast in oven until crisp, about 8 minutes. (Alternatively, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep them from burning.) Let cool in pan.
Meanwhile, cut peel and pith from 2 oranges; slice thinly and set aside. Juice remaining 1/2 orange. Make a vinaigrette by whisking together orange juice, shallot, mustard, salt, grapeseed oil, and dill or chives (if using) in a medium bowl.
To assemble salad: Mix mâche and tatsoi; toss lightly with most of vinaigrette. Add oranges and avocado slices; sprinkle pepitas and cheese on top. Serve with remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Reprinted by arrangement with Celebra, a member of Penguin Group (USA), Inc. Copyright © Jewels and Jill Elmore, 2009.