Servings: Serves 6
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium red peppers , seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb (fronds discarded), coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 hot pickled red cherry pepper , seeded and chopped
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Basil , optional
Note: This soup is fairly spicy. For less heat, use only half a pickled red cherry pepper.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook red peppers, fennel, and onion until softened, about 15 minutes. Add cherry pepper and chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Using a blender and working in small batches, puree soup. Blend 3/4 cup yogurt and salt into the last batch.
Return soup to saucepan and heat through over low heat. Do not boil (yogurt will curdle). Garnish with a swirl of remaining yogurt and a little basil.