Servings: Serves 8
- 6 zucchini (about 2 3/4 pounds), trimmed and thinly shaved lengthwise into strips
- 2 large carrots , trimmed and thinly shaved lengthwise into strips
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil , divided
- 1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt , divided
- 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper , divided, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups raw slivered almonds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bunches kale (about 2 pounds), ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed basil leaves (about 1 bunch)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 cups baby spinach , cut into thin strips
- 3 mediium tomatoes , cored and roughly chopped
- 3 medium beets , preferably Chioggia (also called candy-striped) or yellow, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb , halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced
- Chopped chervil , or another favorite herb, for garnish
Note: Start this recipe the day before serving or early in the morning: The vegetables need to marinate at least 8 hours. Nutritional yeast, often used in vegan cooking, has a nutty, cheesy flavor. It's available at health food stores.
In a large bowl, toss zucchini and carrots with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and chill. Marinate, gently tossing 2 or 3 times, 8 hours or overnight; drain well, reserving marinade. Meanwhile, put almonds in a large bowl, cover with 2 inches water, and set aside to soak 8 hours or overnight; drain well.
In a food processor, puree almonds, garlic, and 2 tablespoons oil until smooth; transfer to a large bowl and set aside. In the same processor (no need to clean it), working in batches as needed, pulse kale and basil, scraping down the sides often, until very finely chopped; transfer to bowl with almond mixture. Add yeast, if using, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring to combine; set aside.
Toss spinach with reserved zucchini marinade, squeezing with your hands to wilt it; wring dry, and discard marinade. Puree tomatoes in a blender until smooth; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To assemble lasagna, alternate layers of zucchini and carrots with kale-almond mixture and spinach, making 4 layers of each, in a 9" x 13" dish. Arrange beets on top, then scatter fennel over beets.
Serve immediately, or chill for a few hours first. It can be consumed cold or at room temperature. To serve, pour some of the tomato puree onto each plate, then top with a piece of lasagna. Garnish with chervil and pepper to taste, and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 11, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.