Serve this with lemony kale salad
for dinner, or on its own for a light lunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme or oregano (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Rinse quinoa in a strainer. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring quinoa, 2 cups water, and 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa absorbs the water, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high and add garlic, zucchini, carrots, thyme or oregano (if using), and red pepper flakes. Sauté, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and golden around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. In a large bowl, mix together quinoa, vegetables, and fresh chives and serve.
Per serving: 255 calories, 10 grams fat, 7 grams protein, 36 grams carbohydrates.