The whole grain quinoa in this salad helps you feel satisfyingly full long after the meal is finished.
Servings: Makes 10–12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt , plus more for dressing
- 4 medium beets , trimmed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper , for dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large, seedless cucumber , chopped
- 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup green beans , blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Place in a medium saucepan with 2 1/2 cups water. Add 1/8 tsp. salt; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until quinoa is tender, 12–15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
Meanwhile, place beets in a large saucepan; cover with cold water (by about an inch). Add 1 tsp. salt; bring to a simmer. Cook until beets are tender when pierced with a paring knife, 35–45 minutes. Drain; cover with cold water. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
In a small bowl, mix vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in oil. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beets, cucumber, tomatoes, green beans and parsley. Toss in dressing to serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 8, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.