Servings: Serves 10
- Canola or vegetable oil , for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar , plus 3' 'tablespoons for finishing
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon , plus 1' 'tablespoon for finishing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin
- Vanilla ice cream , for serving
Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to a medium-heavy saucepan. Set over medium heat, add 1 inch oil and heat until the temperature reaches 350°.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk pumpkin into eggs until combined. Add flour mixture to pumpkin; stir just until combined.
Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil, four at a time. Fry until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fritters to paper towels. To test for doneness, press lightly; fritters should spring back. (They will deflate slightly as they cool.) Repeat with remaining batter.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. To serve, arrange fritters on dessert plates. Sprinkle with rounded teaspoonfuls cinnamon mixture; serve with ice cream.