- 1 tablespoon chia seeds , ground (use a coffee or spice grinder)
- 1 cup whole wheat or whole grain flour
- 1/2 cup white unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) organic pumpkin (make sure there is only pumpkin listed on the ingredient list)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pure maple syrup or 1/2 cup agave nectar or a combination of the two
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans , optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
Fold the wet ingredients (fold in nuts now if you are using them) into the dry ingredients and spoon into paper-lined muffin or greased muffin tins. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Store completely cooled muffins in sealable plastic bags in the freezer.