These muffins have some butter, but their sumptuousness comes from the pumpkin and applesauce. And the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla make them rich, spicy and full-flavored! Adapted from Spices of Life
Servings: Makes 21 muffins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter or cooking spray
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup canned mashed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup apple juice or cider or orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 12 half-cup muffin cups with melted butter. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, applesauce, pumpkin, and vanilla until blended. Add dry ingredients, alternating with the juice, beginning and ending with the dry mixture; mix until smooth. Fold in raisins.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake on the center oven rack until a toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool in the pans several minutes; turn muffins out onto a rack. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. Repeat steps 1 through 3 with remaining batter.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 7, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.