Servings: Serves 6—8
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped Spanish onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups peeled and chopped russet potatoes
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white part only)
- 5 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the celery, potato and leeks and sweat, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Remove the soup from the heat.
Place in a blender or food processor along with the cashews and puree until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and season to taste with salt and pepper.