- 1 head garlic , cloves separated and peeled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion , peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 tsp. mild smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound linguica or chorizo sausage , sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 ounces), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds mussels , debearded and washed
- 3 cups fish stock or clam juice or water
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in spice paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until color changes slightly and raw onion aroma has dissipated. Stir in kale until just wilted. Stir in mussels and stock.
Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir once more and cover tightly. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until all mussels have opened (discard any mussels that haven't).
To serve, divide mussels and kale among 4 large soup bowls, using a slotted spoon (leaving broth behind). Whisk butter into broth, add black pepper to taste, and ladle into each of the bowls of mussels, dividing evenly. Drizzle with about 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil each, and serve with toasted country bread.