Pork Ribs with Garlic, Chilies, and Tomato
Recipe created by Cathy and Tony Mantuano
From the January 2009 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
Spiced up with pickled chilies, this dish gets a kick from tangy Italian tomato puree.
Adapted from Wine Bar Food
, by Cathy Mantuano and Tony Mantuano, copyright © 2008. With permission from Clarkson Potter/Publishers.
This recipe is made from ingredients featured in The Great Pantry Makeover
Servings: Serves 8 as a main course
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds country-style pork ribs , cut from rib end
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cloves garlic , smashed and peeled
- 2 jars or cans (24-ounces apiece) Italian tomato puree (passato di pomodoro)
- 1/2 cup pickled chilies , such as cherry peppers
- Basil leaves , for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 325°. Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil, and heat for 1 minute. Meanwhile, season ribs with salt and pepper. Add ribs, working in batches (don't crowd), and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic to last batch and brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove ribs and garlic; set aside while draining excess fat from Dutch oven, then return all to the pot. Add tomato puree and season with salt and pepper to taste, then add enough water just to cover ribs.
Cover and transfer to oven. Braise until meat is tender, 2 1/2 hours. Add chilies and cook for 30 minutes more.
Transfer ribs to a platter. Ladle sauce and chilies over ribs. Garnish with basil; serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 12, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.