- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 1 carrot , finely diced
- 1 stalk celery , finely diced
- Cayenne pepper to taste (start with 1/8 teaspoon)
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 salt-packed anchovy fillets , rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt , plus more to taste
- 1 cup cornmeal
In a medium, heavy saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add salt and gradually whisk in cornmeal; continue whisking until polenta starts to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir frequently to prevent polenta from sticking to bottom and burning. If polenta becomes too thick, add a ladle or two of water. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Ladle polenta into warmed bowls; top with sauce.