- 6 cups sliced ripe plums (about 10 plums; fresh or frozen peeled peaches may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , chilled
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
To make topping: In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry blender (or two knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in just enough cream, about 2/3 cup, for mixture to form a soft dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into an approximately 8" x 8" square. Cut into six pieces and place on top of cooked plums. Brush dough with remaining 1 Tbsp. cream and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar. Return dish to oven and bake until biscuit topping is golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.