Servings: Makes 1 quart pickled vegetables
- 2 cups white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons plain (non-iodized) or pickling salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 cloves garlic , crushed under a knife and peeled
- 1/4 cup (packed) sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 cucumbers , scrubbed but not peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds or sliced into spears
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup celery , sliced into sticks
Bring the vinegar, salt, coriander and peppercorns to a full boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cool completely.
Sterilize a 1-quart glass canning jar by immersing it in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes or by running it through a full cycle of the dishwasher. The jar should be hot when adding the vegetables.
Layer the cucumbers, baby carrots, celery, garlic and dill in the hot jar. Pour in enough of the vinegar to cover them completely. Screw on the lid. Refrigerate for at least 4-5 hours before serving. (The pickles can be stored, covered and refrigerated, for up to one month.)