Servings: Makes 20 servings
- 4 bunches pencil asparagus (or smallest available), trimmed of woody bottom stalks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces prosciutto di Parma , sliced thinly at the deli counter
- 1 bunch red radishes , cut into thin matchsticks
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Fill a stockpot with water and 1 cup salt per gallon. Bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, create an ice bath by filling a large bowl with two parts ice cubes to one part cold water.
Add 4 to 6 stalks of asparagus at a time to the pot, keeping water at a boil. After 1 minute, remove the asparagus and place in ice bath. When cool, remove from water and drain. Repeat step 2 until all asparagus has been blanched.
Mix asparagus with pepper and 1/8 cup of oil, then place on a platter, surround with prosciutto, and top with radishes. Drizzle dish with remaining oil, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.