- 3 cups pear juice or unsweetened filtered apple cider or pear cider
- 2 tablespoons pear or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 6 cups mixed bitter salad greens
- 1/4 cup dried currants or chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (such as Maytag)
- 1/2 ripe pear , preferably Asian, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350°. In a shallow bowl, stir tamari and molasses, a pinch of salt, and cayenne until blended. Add nuts; toss until coated. Transfer to a double layer of paper towels; drain briefly. Spread pecans on a baking sheet on a wire rack; roast 10 minutes or until fairly dry and toasted. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
In a large bowl, combine greens, pecans, currants and cheese. Whisk vinaigrette again and drizzle it over salad. Toss gently and briefly; you don't want cheese to crumble any further or clump together. Divide among 4 plates and fan pear slices over each serving.
Recommended ingredient: Pear juice is available in natural food stores.
For more from Michel Nischan, visit his website: www.michelnischan.com