What really makes these pancakes cook? Ginger—in the batter and syrup.
Servings: Makes about 18-20 pancakes
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil (for griddle)
- 3 large peaches , peeled and thinly sliced
Combine ginger and maple syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let steep 30 minutes to 1 hour. Strain, discard ginger chunks, and set aside.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ground ginger and salt. Add milk, butter and eggs; whisk until most lumps have dissolved.
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat and brush with vegetable oil. Using a measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto griddle. When large bubbles form, top with 3 to 5 peach slices, then flip pancakes. Cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and keep warm. Serve with additional butter and ginger syrup.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.