You can take this sweet-and-savory peach chutney anywhere—but why not start at the top, over toasted flatbread and creamy goat cheese.
Servings: Makes about 2 cups
- 1 large shallot , cut in half
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger , peeled
- 1 clove garlic , peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 large peaches , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a small food processor, combine shallot, ginger and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped.
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté shallot mixture until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, if needed. Let cool to room temperature. Serve with flatbread and goat cheese or with roasted or grilled meats.
(Chutney can be made 1 to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Bring back to room temperature before serving.)
Recommended technique: To peel a peach easily, quickly plunge it into boiling water for 5 seconds, remove it, submerge it in ice water, then peel.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 7, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.