A perfect mix and match: the sweetness of peas and garlic, the salty bite of Pecorino and olives, the gratifying crunch of toasted baguette.
Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large French baguette , sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fresh peas , shelled, or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup slivered black olives
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut top third off garlic head. Rub cut garlic with 1 teaspoon olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast in oven 45 minutes. Remove foil from garlic; allow to cool. In a medium bowl, squeeze pulp from cloves; set aside.
Meanwhile, using 1/4 cup olive oil, brush baguette slices; place on baking sheet. Toast in oven until golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove; cool to room temperature.
Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil; blanch peas, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and place in bowl with roasted garlic and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Smash peas and garlic with fork until just chunky. Stir in olives and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with baguette slices.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 21, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.