- 12 shiitake mushrooms , stems removed
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon mixed minced fresh herbs (such as parsley, thyme and chives)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, 1/2 tablespoon herb mixture, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously until well blended and frothy.
Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Immediately pour in eggs and scatter mushrooms over top. Rapidly stir with a folding motion about 1 minute, concentrating on moving eggs from outside of pan to center until omelet begins to set.
Reduce heat to low and continue stirring and folding another 2 minutes or so until omelet sets. Remove from heat and sprinkle goat cheese over omelet.
Roll omelet onto a warmed platter, garnish with remaining 1/2 tablespoon herbs, and serve immediately.
For more from Michel Nischan, visit his website: www.michelnischan.com