- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers
- 1 can (6 ounces) chopped tomatoes with juices or fresh tomatoes or chicken stock or vegetable stock (if on hand)
- 1 pound dried whole wheat pasta (fettuccine, spaghetti or capellini)
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese , for garnish
- 1/2 jar (12 ounces) roasted peppers
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it softens. Add the peppers and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the stove and let the mixture cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Whirl the tomato mixture in a food processor or blender, taking care to cover the lid with a towel and hold it on tightly if using a blender. Process or blend until smooth. Set aside.
When the water in the pot is boiling, add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. While the pasta is cooking, pour the tomato mixture back into the skillet and set over low heat, adding 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
Drain the pasta and transfer to a large serving bowl. Ladle on the tomato sauce and garnish with a little Parmesan and Italian herb seasoning. Serve immediately.