Pasta Pisello with Garden Peas
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 Tbsp. salt , for pasta water
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups fresh garden peas , still in the pod
- 1/3 cup pancetta , chopped into small pieces
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt , to taste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint (optional)
Place the pancetta in a cold skillet, turn the heat to medium-low and cook until crisp. Set aside.
Add about a tablespoon of salt to a pasta pot of boiling water and boil the linguine according to package directions.
When the pasta is al dente (approximately 9 to 10 minutes), drain and pour back into the pot you boiled it in and place back on the stove. Turn on the heat to medium-high, add milk and butter and toss gently to coat the pasta until all the butter has melted and the milk has thickened and formed a creamy consistency.
Add the cheese and toss gently, making sure all the pasta is coated well. Add the peas and pancetta and toss gently.
Pour into a bowl, adding a couple of generous handfuls of Parmesan cheese. Crack on some fresh black pepper and top with fresh mint, if using.