This is delicious with New Potato Salad
or on a lamb sandwich with roasted peppers.
Servings: Makes 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup blanched whole almonds
- 1 small clove garlic , peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil , plus more for storing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crumbled ricotta salata
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350°. Spread out almonds on a baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Let cool.
Place garlic and salt in a mortar. Add about 1/3 of the almonds, parsley, mint, basil, and olive oil. Using a pestle, crush against bottom and sides of mortar until a coarse paste forms.
Working in batches, add another 1/3 of the almonds, parsley, mint, basil, and olive oil; crush as directed. Repeat with remaining batch. Stir in ricotta salata and pepper; transfer to an airtight container, cover with a layer of extra-virgin olive oil (to prevent oxidation), and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Note: This pesto can be made in a food processor: Simply combine the ingredients and blend 20 to 30 seconds, to a coarse paste. Chef Michela Larson prefers crushing them in a mortar with a pestle —a slower process, which she finds results in a more aromatic, flavorful pesto.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 13, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.