Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon imported Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 tablespoon imported Pecorino cheese , grated
- Scant cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or more, to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh basil
Lightly toast the pine nuts in a hot oven, about 400°F.
Rinse and dry the basil leaves. Place in a mortar or blender, add salt, garlic and the pine nuts and pound or blend into a paste. Add the cheeses gradually. When the paste is smooth, transfer to a bowl and gradually stir in the olive oil, using a wooden spoon.
Place the two tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan with garlic and onion; simmer. Add the tomatoes, basil, seasoning salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the tomatoes have reduced almost to a puree. Press through a sieve or strainer.
Check the seasoning and if desired, stir in any remaining basil before serving. Serve over pappardelle or your favorite pasta (prepare according to directions on the box.)