Servings: Serves 6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 loaf store-bought or homemade rustic country bread torn into 1- to 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons good-quality red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large tomatoes , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 unpeeled hothouse cucumber , cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , cut into ribbons, plus additional for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; when oil is hot, add garlic cloves. Remove from heat and set aside until cool. Discard garlic cloves.
Toss bread in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of garlic-infused olive oil. Place on a baking sheet. Toast bread until lightly golden and crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
To make vinaigrette: Combine remaining olive oil with vinegar, shallot, sugar, salt and pepper, and mix well.
In a large bowl, toss bread, tomatoes, onion and cucumber with vinaigrette and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional basil.