Servings: Serves 6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 loaf store-bought or homemade rustic country bread torn into 1- to 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons good-quality red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large tomatoes , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 unpeeled hothouse cucumber , cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , cut into ribbons, plus additional for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; when oil is hot, add garlic cloves. Remove from heat and set aside until cool. Discard garlic cloves.
Toss bread in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of garlic-infused olive oil. Place on a baking sheet. Toast bread until lightly golden and crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
To make vinaigrette: Combine remaining olive oil with vinegar, shallot, sugar, salt and pepper, and mix well.
In a large bowl, toss bread, tomatoes, onion and cucumber with vinaigrette and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional basil.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.