Servings: Makes about 40 hors d'oeuvre
- 4 to 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt , plus additional to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound asparagus , tough ends removed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a 1-inch circular cookie cutter, cut bread into 40 rounds. Brush tops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
In a large sauté pan, bring 2 inches water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes. Strain and run under cold water to cool down.
Tightly wrap 3 spears asparagus with one slice of prosciutto. Repeat with remaining asparagus and prosciutto. Cut rolls crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Place 1 slice on each toast and serve.