Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound round-loaf country bread (about 7 inches in diameter)
- 2 medium cloves garlic , peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 large ripe tomato (or' '2 medium), halved crosswise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Cut four 3/4-inch-thick slices from center of loaf. Place slices on oven rack positioned 6 inches from broiler flame. Broil about 2 minutes per side, checking frequently to prevent burning. Remove bread to a plate. When cool enough to handle, rub one side of each slice with garlic cloves, then rub with tomato halves, cut side down, squeezing slightly to release some pulp. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley before servings.