Servings: Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 lamb chops , (1 1/2 to 2 inches thick) single or double ribs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 firm half-ripe mangoes , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 10 cloves garlic , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
To cook lamb: In a shallow bowl, combine the coriander, cumin, paprika, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, chili powder, cardamom, and cinnamon. Mix well. Press each lamb chop into the spices to create a coating on each side. Place chops in a large ceramic bowl or glass dish, cover, and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Season the lamb chops with the salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, place 4 of the chops in the skillet and cook until deep, dark brown (or "blackened"), about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the chops from the skillet and place them on the rack of a broiling pan. Pour off any oil in the skillet and carefully wipe it clean with a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining oil and chops.
Roast lamb chops 10 to 12 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the chops without touching the bone registers 135 to 140° for medium rare. Serve with Mango Chutney.
To make chutney: Combine mangoes, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper flakes in a large pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes, or until chutney thickens. Pour chutney into a bowl and let cool. Chutney can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.