Servings: Serves 4
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 pippin apples , cored and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions , plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 duck breasts , halved, skin removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
To make rice: In a small saucepan, combine 3 cups water, cinnamon, allspice, curry powder and salt. Bring to a boil, add rice and reduce heat to low; cover. Cook until rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
To make chutney: In a medium saucepan, combine apples, ginger, scallions, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper flakes and apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until apples are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
To prepare duck: In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Pat duck breasts dry and add them to pan once oil is hot. Cook until medium well (no pink inside), about 3 minutes per side, seasoning each with salt and pepper. Remove from pan, cool slightly and cut into 1/3-inch slices. Serve over rice and top with chutney.