- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ciabatta rolls or 1/2 baguette
- 1/2 small fennel bulb (green fronds removed and reserved) or 1 rib celery , thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper or jarred roasted pepper , cut into thin rings
- 1 sliced hard-boiled egg
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna (solid white, packed in water)
- 6 to 8 black olives (preferably oil-cured)
- 1 tsp. drained nonpareil capers
- 1 thinly sliced ripe plum tomato
To make dressing: Mix together red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, anchovy paste (if using), and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
To make sandwich: Slice open rolls and scoop out bread from top halves; set rolls aside. Start layering the bottom halves of rolls in this order: fennel, red bell pepper, egg, and tuna. Sprinkle each with 3 to 4 olives, 1/2 teaspoon capers, and fennel fronds. On top halves, place tomato slices. Drizzle dressing over both halves of each sandwich. Put sandwiches together, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and keep cool until ready to eat.
Get more creative lunch recipes